We often hear parents wondering about how to get your child to sleep through the night. It’s a common challenge for parents. As for newborns, they tend to wake every few hours during the night in search to satisfy their little stomach.
As the child grows up, they don’t rely on night-time feedings. This is the stage where most of the parents think that their child will sleep peacefully throughout the whole night. But it does not always happen.
Babies or toddlers can not sleep the whole night without waking up in the middle unless they learn this skill – yes, sleeping is a skill. So instead of going through traditional remedies, here are some clinically preferred solutions that will answer how to get your child to sleep through the night.
Here’s How To Get Your Child To Sleep Through The Night
Your baby can experience several problems during sleep. If any of the problems occur – or your child is just having a hard time sleeping – the following are the steps you can take.
1. Establish a proper bedtime routine. It’s not too early for newborns to be brought to a scheduled sleeping routine. In fact, it helps them from an early stage to be able to sleep through the night without any disturbance.
2. While your baby is about to sleep, wrap them up in a nice and light sleeper, soothe them, swaddle them, give them a little cuddle. That gives them a sense of security and helps them sleep without fear. Restrain from these activities during their sleep, that will only disturb them.
3. Train your baby to soothe themselves. That means, when your baby cries in the middle of the night, give them your time – but limit it. That way, they’ll know that it’s still time to sleep.
4. Reduce the night feedings. Every time your baby gets awake in the middle of the night, most of the mothers reported that they feed them in order to bring them back to sleep.
However, if you get an ‘okay’ from the doctor to stop the night feedings, slowly make your baby aware that they won’t be able to feed themselves if they cry at night.
5. Make sure that your room has a calm and soothing ambiance. Noises and bright lights will never help a child sleep. Keep the light as low as possible.
6. Always stick to proper bedtime routines. No matter how much your baby cries at night and runs away from sleep, a parent should never forget that night is for sleep – for baby and for the parent too. Therefore, sticking to a routine is necessary.
7. Be patient. Maybe your baby will not soon come to the routine or start sleeping peacefully at night. Still, don’t give up on your parenting and start indulging in activities with them. Be patient, and keep working on their sleep patterns.
Following all these activities is the perfect solution to how to get your child to sleep through the night. However, in any serious or unusual behavior of the child, contact your doctor.